Substances and materials that must be notified to the Product Registry
All companies that import or produce hazardous chemical products for professional use in Denmark must notify the products to the Product Registry. Learn which products are covered by the obligation to notify.
Which substances and materials do you have to notify?
If your company manufactures, imports to Denmark or changes the trade name of any hazardous material in quantities equal to or exceeding 100 kg per year, you have a duty to notify to the Product Registry.
For chemical substances used for commercial purposes in quantities equal to 100 kg up to 1000 kg per year you also have a duty to notify.
Companies must notify the following substances and materials to the Product Registry (based on Danish Working Environment Authority’s definition of hazardous):
- Substances and materials that must be classified as hazardous in accordance with the CLP Regulation.
- Substances and materials included with a limit value in the Executive Order on Limit Values for Substances and Materials.
- Materials that contain 1% or more of a substance that is included with a limit value in the Executive Order on Limit Values for Substances and Materials.
Other substances and materials, which are subject to the requirements of a safety data sheet in the REACH Regulation.
In addition to this you can notify raw materials, biocides and products for use offshore. For more information, see below.
Be aware, that the REACH Regulation Section II sets out the requirements for registration to the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) of substances manufactured or placed on the market in the EU in quantities of 1000 kg or more per year. Substances are defined in Article 3, no. 1, manufacturing is defined in Article 3, no. 8, and placing on the market is defined in Article 3, no. 12.
Substances and materials that do not need to be notified
You do not need to notify the following substances and materials in the Product Registry:
- Articles such as thermometers and plastic buckets.
- Substances and materials that are only used in private households
- Substances and materials imported/manufactured in quantities of less than 100 kg per year
- Food, beverages and other products ready for consumption
- Medicinal products ready for consumption
- Animal feed
- Substances and materials containing radioactive substances
- Medical devices to be used in direct contact with the human body provided that other legislation lays down requirements regarding the device
- Substances and materials that are manufactured or imported solely for research purposes in quantities of less than 1000 kilo, for use by only a few individuals
- Substances and materials that are only in transit in Denmark
Liquid substances and materials that only fall under the duty to notify due to their content of one or more of the following substances from the Executive Order on Limit Values for Substances and Materials (in Danish):
- Iron oxide
- Kaolin, respirable
- Silicic acid, SiO2, amorphous
- Silicic acid, SiO2, amorphous, respirable
- Titanium dioxide
- Substances and materials that are only subject to the unspecified limit values for organic dust and mineral dust (see the Executive Order on Limit Values for Substances and Materials - in Danish).